Diary Entry #01: What Happened to Genki Pika Pika?

Hi. My name is Airi. I'm the writer behind small, rambling mess of a J-pop blog Genki Pika Pika! and I took an unannounced hiatus for nearly a year and a half.

Lord, just writing that already makes me sound like those YouTube hiatus/burnout videos. However, I feel like for any readers that have still followed my smol blog up even now – they still deserve an explanation of what happened to it, what happened to me perhaps. To get straight to the point, I wasn't myself and I've hit absolutely rock bottom. It wasn't until maybe the second quarter of 2019 that I've started trying to get my life back together essentially.

Starting in 2018, a lot of things in my life just started crumbling down. I was previously a STEM major in university but I absolutely hated the subject at that point. I was only pursuing the degree because of family and because of the promise of a big paycheck. I couldn't deal with the stress anymore and just stopped trying – ultimately failing the semester. My relationship with my family crumbled because of me failing in the major. You know Asian families are – if you don't have a degree and a high-paying job in the STEM field, you're practically a mistake and a waste of time.

In the past, I have also mentioned (but since deleted) in entries that I had a boyfriend. I had fallen out of love with him, yet I felt obligated to stay with him due to various reasons. I felt suffocated, drained, intimidated, fearful. Thinking back, maybe it was almost borderline toxic. With the stress of school and family, I had to deal with keeping up and maintaining an equally stressful relationship. You can see already where this was going – it was just a downward spiral into madness.

With my life in shambles, I just couldn't bring myself to post on a blog that I tried to maintain a positive tone to it. I couldn't. Even if I wanted to write something, I just couldn't. Plus, my ex-boyfriend previously had access to those blogs and I didn't want him to read anything. I'll be honest, I'm still a little bit paranoid that maybe he's reading this. /you know what, fuck it. who gives a damn if he's reading/

Then, in 2019, I was like fuck it. I need to start getting my life back together. Somehow. I wasn't going to drop out of school so I changed my major and essentially "started over again." If you're curious, I'm a teaching major and I love it. It has its own set of difficulties but I feel so much happier. I'm doing better in that field which helped me slowly mend back my relationship with my parents. I'm still working on that, but it's a lot better compared to how it used to be. Later on, by mid-2019, I broke up with my boyfriend. Oh my god. I felt like I could b r e a t h again for the first time.

I spent the rest of 2019 just doing self-care, focusing on school and work, doing tiny things to help with my mental health and make me happy again. I was slowly getting my life back together, slowly getting back into the things that I love and being an unapologetic fangirl. Once I felt like I was in a better place, that's when I can finally consider going back to my blog. I missed this so much.

It's 2020. It's a new decade. I have some entries that I need to finish like my prolonged 30 Day J-pop challenges. However, I do have ideas for new entries that I want to write. I want to consider this a new start, a new chapter in my blogging life. So, if you're still following me up until now, thank you for doing so. I don't know why you would follow me but thank you. And if you're a new follower who just randomly stumbled upon this, hi. I'm a rambling mess but thanks for visiting and I hope you stay.

Hi, my name is Airi. It's been nearly two years but I'm back.
Please continue to support me and thank you for putting up with my shit.

Comments